Buying at Theodore Bruce Auctions is an exciting and satisfying experience. Our streamlined systems and experienced staff can guide you through every step of the way – from inspection, through to placing bids and organising delivery of your purchases.
Whether you are interested in buying antiques, jewellery, fine art or classic cars, you can bid with confidence at a Theodore Bruce auction.
Our auctions are free to attend and everyone is welcome.
Buying at a Theodore Bruce Auctions
This step-by-step guide will help you through the buying process – from inspecting items through to bidding, payment and delivery.
How to buy
The buying process consists three simple steps:
- Payment and delivery
You can also refer to the Buyer’s Guide located in our catalogues for sale-specific information.
You can browse, search and select items in the following ways:
- Browse and search through Theodore Bruce’s e-catalogues from your computer or smart phone.
- Sign up for our regular e-alerts. Want to know about upcoming auctions, special sales or items of interest? Sign up for our e-alerts and you will never miss a sale in your area of interest.
- Attend auction previews and speak to our highly experienced team of specialists. Auction previews are an ideal opportunity to inspect lots prior to auction. Our team of specialists is on hand to discuss lots in greater detail.
Condition reports are available on request. These reports provide guidance on the condition of the lots in the auction and are in addition to descriptions in the catalogue.
Register to bid
You will need to register before you can bid at a Theodore Bruce Auction. You can register in two ways – either in person, or online.
You can register in person to bid before the auction begins. Once you have filled out a registration form (which includes credit card details and photo ID) you will be given a bidder number.
You can also register to bid at a Theodore Bruce Auction online
- Written Bids
- Telephone bids
How can I bid?
You can bid in four simple ways:
1. In person. Once you have registered, the staff at Theodore Bruce will give you a numbered bidder card. To place a bid, hold up your card so that the auctioneer can clearly see it. If you are the successful bidder on a lot, the auctioneer will acknowledge your bidder number and the amount that you have bid.
2. Live online bidding. Theodore Bruce Auctions offers an online bidding service that allows you to bid for lots in real time from the comfort of your home or office. Registration for live online bidding is achieved by clicking on the “webcast” icon on each sale title page.
3. Telephone bidding. Pre-registered phone bidding is available on selected lots. Several minutes before your lot comes up for sale, a member of the Theodore Bruce Auction team will telephone you. He or she will guide you through what is happening in the saleroom and place your bids as requested. Please register at least 24 hours before the auction. Please note that phone bidding is only available for lots estimated $500 and above.
4. Absentee bidding. If you can’t attend an auction and are unable to bid online or over the telephone, you may consider an absentee bid. An absentee bid is simply the highest bid price you are willing to pay. Absentee bids can be submitted in person or online on an absentee bidding form. Our auction staff will bid on your behalf and obtain the item at the lowest price possible within your bidding limit.
Theodore Bruce Auctions does not own the property that it sells at auction. We host auctions as an agent to bring buyers and sellers together. When an object is sold, Theodore Bruce Auctions receives a percentage of the hammer price, which we call the seller’s commission, plus other fees as our payment from the consignor for our services.
We also collect a percentage of the hammer price from the buyer that we call Buyer’s Premium. A buyer’s premium is added to the winning bid price (hammer) of each individual lot purchased, at the rates set forth in the Conditions of Sale. The winning bid price plus the premium constitute the purchase price for the lot. Applicable sales taxes are computed based on this figure, and the total becomes your final purchase price.
For further information, please refer to the Conditions of Sale found in your catalogue.
Payment and delivery
Once you have paid for your lot you are welcome to take it home or arrange for it to be delivered.
All purchases need to be paid and picked up by 4pm two days following the auction.
Payment may be made to Theodore Bruce Auctions by cash, Visa, Mastercard, debit card, cheque with approved credit, bank cheque, money order, wire transfer or other immediate bank transfer. Please note there is a payment transaction fee applicable to all credit card transactions.
Items must be paid for within 3 business days of the sale or as otherwise stated in the sale catalogue.
If you wish to have your purchases delivered, speak to the friendly staff at Theodore Bruce Auctions who can assist with your transport requirements.
- No: AS0662
- Unclaimed Post | October Auction
- 26 Oct 2019 10:00 / Sydney
- No: AS0618
- Luxury I Vintage Fashion & Costume Jewels | Oct
- 26 Oct 2019 14:30 / Sydney
- No: AS0655
- Emporium | October
- 27 Oct 2019 10:30 / Sydney
- No: AS0646
- 17 Nov 2019 11:00 / Sydney
- No: AS0664
- Unclaimed Post | November Auction
- 23 Nov 2019 10:00 / Sydney
- No: AS0661
- The Loss Adjuster's Auction | November
- 23 Nov 2019 14:30 / Sydney