Featured in our October Emporium Auction are four German Hanau Silver and Ivory Figures of Knights and Noblemen. Most intriguingly, these figures were modelled after four of the twenty-eight larger than life-size bronze statues that can be found in an Innsbruck church known as the Hofkirche.
Built in 1553 as a memorial to Emperor Maximilian I, the church is home to some very important Renaissance sculpture. The bronze figures that our silver and ivory pieces are modelled after are no exception. Among the characters on display are the ancestors, contemporaries and heroes of Maximilian, such as King Arthur of Britain, King Ferdinand II of Aragon and King Clovis I of the Franks. The statues were designed and created by some key 16th Century artists and sculptors, including Albrecht Durer, Hans Leinberger and Peter Vischer the Elder.
The German Hanau Silver and Ivory Figures feature in Theodore Bruce’s October Emporium Catalogue from Lots 539-542.
FRIDAY 28 OCTOBER | 10AM – 4PM
SATURDAY 29 OCTOBER | 10AM – 4PM
SUNDAY 30 OCTOBER | 10AM – 11AM
- No: AS0672
- Emporium | January | Sydney
- 25 Jan 2020 10:30 / Sydney
- No: AS0671
- Chinese, Japanese & Asian Decortive Art
- 15 Mar 2020 11:00 / Sydney
- No: AS0670
- Luxury | Vintage Fashion & Costume Jewels | Mar
- 28 Mar 2020 14:30 / Sydney
- No: AS0575
- The Estate Auction | March
- 29 Mar 2020 12:00 / Sydney
- No: AS0557
- Modern Design
- 25 May 2020 14:30 / Sydney
- No: AA6117
- The Dick Lang Ethnographic Collection
- 26 May 2020 11:00 / Adelaide